Grades K–2 (90 minutes each)
Pairs well with:
- Tours—Creepy Crawlies, Johnny Appleseed, Habitat Hunters
Your students will become botanists for a day digging into the science and history of flowers while discovering the gardens as Minnetrista. Your class will experience the folklore and historical uses behind some of the gardens’ most pungent and pretty flowers.
What will my students do?
- Dissect a seed
- Plant a seed to take home
- Stroll through Minnetrista gardens and find out how people use plants for everyday life
- Explore the anatomy of a flower through the use of models, diagrams, and dissection
What will my students learn?
- A plant is a living thing that needs soil, water, and sunlight to grow and stay alive
- Plants are an important part of our lives—for aesthetics, food, medicine, and more
- Different parts of a plant perform different functions—there is a system
ScienceK.1.1, K.1.2, K.4.1, K.4.2, K.6.1
Language Arts1.7.1, 1.7.2
Science1.4.2, 1.4.4, 1.6.1, 1.6.2
Social Studies1.1.1, 1.1.2
Language Arts2.7.1, 2.7.2, 2.7.3, 2.7.12
Science2.1.1, 2.4.3, 2.6.1, 2.6.2
Common Core Standards
ELA: K.L.1b, c, d, e, f; K.L.6; K.SL.1a, b; K.SL.2; K.SL.3;
Mathematics: K.MD.1; K.MD.2; K.G.1; K.G.3; K.G.4
ELA: 1.L.1 c, d, f, j; 1.SL.1a, b, c; 1.SL.2; 1.SL.3; 1.SL.6
ELA: 2.L.1a, b, c; 2.SL.2, 2.SL.3; 2.SL.6