Seasonal GardenerJob #1 Category: Horticulture
|Position Title:||Seasonal Gardener|
|Reporting Supervisor:||Horticulture Manager|
|Length of Appointment:||Temporary|
|Status:||Non-exempt – Full/Part Time|
This position will be responsible for the support and labor of all horticultural areas at Minnetrista. Reporting to the Horticulture Manager but working directly under and with the full-time horticulture staff, the gardener will also focus on and provide a positive visitor and volunteer experience.
Must love working outdoors and have a general knowledge of horticulture or natural resources. The gardener must have good customer service skills and work well both in a group setting and alone. This position requires the ability to learn quickly and retain information. Well groomed. Must have a very good sense of urgency and priority. Must have the endurance to work full days in possible adverse weather conditions and be dependable. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Flexibility of schedule and daily routine. Must be able and willing to operate a manual transmission vehicle. A valid driver’s license is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all positions include the following three performance standards:
- Your first priority and responsibility is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything –vision, values, mission, goals and strategies.
- Your second priority and responsibility is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority and responsibility is to carry out your job function.
- Keep assigned gardens and/or natural areas maintained daily.
- Weed, plant, transplant, water, rake, dig, mulch, deadhead, and operate equipment as required.
- Perform occasional weekend watering duties.
- Work with and assist other staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Greet and interact with visitors on-site by answering questions in a professional manner.
- Practice proper tool usage and use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Expand knowledge of horticulture through participating in “Plant of the Week”.
- Be flexible in obtaining new gardening techniques.
- Will perform all other labor related duties as required.
Work environment will be outdoors on the grounds of Minnetrista.
The organization will need coverage by the horticulture department seven days a week based on assigned operating hours. You will be expected to work within this time frame. Since Minnetrista accommodates numerous public programs and events all staff are required to provide coverage as needed, day and night, seven days a week. Frequent mandatory work schedule changing, with limited notice, is to be expected.