All tours include walking outdoors. A golf cart may be available with reservation for up to 4 people only. All tours run 45–90 minutes, depending on tour content and visitor interest. All paid tours require reservation at least 2 weeks prior to ensure staff availability.
Interpreter-led Boulevard Walk (free, max 12)
Minnetrista interpreters are on site Monday–Saturday, from 9 a.m.–5:30 p.m., to share the history of the Ball family in Muncie. Explore the legacy of the Minnetrista property, and take a walk down the Boulevard to discover more about the homes and members of the Ball family. Please call at least 7 days prior to confirm an interpreter will be available during your group’s visit time.
Self-Guided Exhibit Walk-Through ($5 per person; $4 groups of 10+)
Planning to bring a larger group to view one of our current exhibitions? Call a few weeks in advance and get a $1 per person discount and access to our galleries.
Minnetrista Legacy Tour ($6 per person, max 40)
Explore the history of Minnetrista on a tour of the Boulevard, including a walk through Oakhurst Home, where George and Frances Ball penned the original Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving. This tour also includes a 45-minute guided tour of Nebosham and E.B. and Bertha Ball homes. This tour includes the cost of admission to Minnetrista’s exhibitions. Beginning September 2017, Oakhurst home will be closed through the spring for renovations.
Custom Expert Tour ($6 per person)
Dig into the rich history of our community or explore gardens across our 40-acre campus. These tours are led by a Minnetrista expert from our Collections or Horticulture department and can be customized based on your group’s interest. Here are a few popular custom tour topics:
- Minnetrista’s themed gardens
- Natural resources & nature area walk-through
- Gas boom and glass history in East Central Indiana
- History of food preservation and Ball innovations
- Historic house preservation
- Apple cider room and tasting
Frequently Asked Questions
- What options are available for chartered bus groups?
- Our Custom Expert Tour is the only tour available for groups larger than 40. Please let us know at booking if you plan to bring a chartered bus, to ensure there is ample parking space during your visit.
- What lunch options are available for my group?
- For larger groups, rooms are available to rent during your visit. Minnetrista’s in-house catering team is also available to create a personalized menu or prepare chef-inspired dishes for your group.
- Minnetrista’s 40-acres of property include a number of outdoor garden and patio spaces, which are perfect for picnicking. Either bring your own lunch or order from our friends at Jimmy Johns for speedy delivery! Please confirm in advance with your booking to ensure our outdoor space availability.
- Looking for unique local flavor? Check out Vera Mae’s Bistro, Tuppee Tong Thai, Twin Archer Brewpub, or Thr3e Wise Men—all within a 1-mile drive of Minnetrista.
- What else is there to see and do at Minnetrista during my visit?
- Minnetrista’s 40-acre campus, including themed gardens and nature area, are always open for free. If the weather is good, be sure to plan some extra time to explore outdoors!
- Find unique handmade treasures at the Orchard Shop, Minnetrista’s gift shop. The Shop is open during general admission hours Mon.–, 9 a.m.–5:30 p.m. and Sun., 11 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- Check out our rotating exhibitions on our Events page or inquire at booking to see what will be open during your visit.
- What else is there to see and do in the area?
- Check out Muncie’s Visitor’s Bureau for more information on area attractions: http://www.visitmuncie.org/places/attractions/